My $54 Million Dollar Pants

By now we've all heard of the so-called judge who sued a family-owned laundry to the verge of bankruptcy because he was dissatisfied with the alterations on his pants. He went to court recently demanding $54 million in damages for the pain and suffering of unwanted cuffs on his trousers.

If there is any justice this man will not only lose his case, he will lose his judgeship and law license. As an officer of the court he is supposed to honor the law, the purpose of which is to promote fairness, justice and safety in a civilized culture. This man abused the law to flout fairness and justice, and to inflict harm on a hard-working family. He did it because he could. He had the law degree, he had the knowledge and he had a me-first at all cost mentality that seeks to destroy all objects of it's scorn.

I know this man's personality because I've seen it in others. I've seen it in me.

The reality is that we all have a pair of pants that, given the right chemistry of pride, greed, expediency and disdain for others, could turn into the $54 million variety.

The other day I was traveling at about 70 on the Interstate (in the slow lane, of course) when I noticed in my mirror a Jeep Cherokee approaching at an incredible speed. The car was straddling the line, half in the passing lane and half in mine. I could clearly see the driver's profile, which meant he was looking for something on the seat beside him and not at the road. I veered to the shoulder to make room just as he blew by, oblivious to me and the peril he was causing. He was obviously in a hurry, obviously busy--too busy to give a rip about anybody else who might be using the same road.

Sometimes a $54 million pair of pants looks like a Jeep Cherokee.

I heard about a teacher, a charismatic sort of religious guru, who had sex with his students and even exposed some of them to AIDS.

Sometimes a $54 million pair of pants looks like predation, packaged as enlightenment.

There was a man in the news this past week who abducted a woman and shot her in the face. He was angry because the woman's sister had not been adequately appreciative of some favor the man had performed. Sometimes a $54 million pair of pants looks like a favor performed only to get something in return.

A soldier returns home in a flag-draped casket, and scores of leather-clad bikers show up on their Harleys to lead the funeral procession, while nearby church people carry signs protesting homosexuality. Sometimes $54 million pants look like grief and empathy, but only if they attract some attention.

We see examples all the time--in lines at the store, in a busy restaurant, in a church business meeting, at work when the boss is looking for someone to blame or praise, at a family reunion. Self-loving, others-loathing behavior can show up anywhere. The results may not be as extreme as bankruptcy, AIDS infection or murder, but they are always ugly.

I have to fight it in myself. When my focus becomes what I want and only what I want and nothing or no one else is of any consequence or importance, I am just an opportunity away from putting on my $54 million pants and taking a stroll down the catwalk.

The Bible says in Micah 6:8, "He has told you O man, what is good; and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" This is the cure for the $54 million pants and all these other selfish and destructive acts--doing justice, loving kindness and walking humbly. This is a message that we all need desperately.

Here's an idea. You know how some retailers sell pants with words printed across the bottom or down the leg? Instead of "Old Navy" or "Adidas" though, we could market versions that read "Justice" and "Kindness" and "Walk Humbly." We could charge $19.95 for them, but they would be worth a whole lot more.

Comments

Whit said…
I enjoy these thoughts and certainly relate as well. We can get so focused that the object of our attention becomes the only other thing in the world besides ourself.

I also just read where that judge lost his case. I am glad to see our justice system standing up against a misdead by one of their own.