In Spite Of Myself



My son Whit got married last weekend. He married a lovely woman named Sarah. The ceremony was very meaningful and beautiful. The reception was a blast, but it ended far too quickly. I was Best Man--a titular honor only.

All of the people I love the most were a part of the wedding. In addition to Whit and Sarah, there was the lovely Janice, my wife, as well as my daughter Lesley and her husband Daniel, who were both part of the wedding party. And then there was Sam, too young to be a ring bearer, but a ring bearer nonetheless.

Sam's big moment, as far as I'm concerned, is when he and I got to dance together at the reception. That's one of the pictures I'm showing here--me and Sam dancing. What a good time.

Then on Sunday it was Father's Day, and I have to say it was one of the best Father's Days of my life. I didn't see my son, of course. And I only talked to my daughter a moment. But I had time on that day after the wedding to think about all the blessings God has allowed me to know. He is the provider of all good gifts, and this past weekend, with the great loves of my life all around me, was a most precious gift. I don't deserve it . . . I never will, but the Lord blessed me in spite of myself.

My prayer for my son and for my son in law is that they will get to experience the rich joy I felt this past weekend. It doesn't last long. If you don't pause and clue in you miss it. Thank you, Lord Jesus, that I did not miss it.

Comments

Stephanie said…
I feel the same way - it was over too soon. It was so much fun to have all our family and friends around us - what an opportunity - how often does that happen? Not often enough and when it does we need to treasure it. Thanks for reminding us and WELCOME to the family!!