The Middle of Somewhere

I’ve known men and women who grew old way too early in life. Be the cause physical, emotional or attitudinal, they slowed, grayed, dried and settled at a rate that seemed unnatural and tragic.

I’ve also known those who are enduringly young.  Even when they wrinkle and gray, they retain sparks, energies and curiosities that keep them youthful.

If for some people old age arrives too early, and for others youth endures so long, then it is logical that different people, at differing times, find themselves in middle age.

By standard accounts, middle age is that period of 30-something to 40-something when the body still works pretty well, but signs of wear and neglect become evident.  Newer models are noticeably faster, prettier and less expensive to operate. 

The middle is also the time for asking some of life’s biggest questions.  Am I where I’m supposed to be?  Do I matter?  What’s next?  What did I miss?  How will it all end? 

Using those definitions, I think I have stumbled backward into middle age.  Even though I am now 61 (and the rarity of 122-year-olds in the world tells me I am well past the mid-point of my breathing) my body and mind feel weighted at a place that seems like a turning point.

Let me address the obvious criticism that, if I believe I am at middle age later than average, then I must think myself one of those aberrantly youthful people.  I confess that is true.  A youthful body and outlook are things I’ve always felt blessed by.  Those close to me can judge whether I’ve been delusional or insufferable about it.

The full truth is, arriving at middle age at 61 is nothing to be arrogant about.  The questions I find myself wrestling with now would be far less fearsome if I had confronted them at 40.  Have I provided enough for my wife?  Will there be enough to live on when our bodies grow frail?  Have I done what The Lord requires?  Have I loved justice and mercy?  Have I really loved God and my neighbor?

The overarching question that right now fills so many thoughts is—how much time do I have left to get it right--or at least more right?

One of the indicators of my middle-age-ness is that I feel the need to buy a black suit.  The longer one lives, the more funerals one attends.  The more funerals, the more stories one hears of strange lumps, little pains, subtle losses of memory, precursors all to great illness and suffering. 

The more stories you hear, the more stories you make up about your own looming mortality.  The end is out there.  I could not really conceive it when I was 40 or 50, but it’s palpable now.  There is a dark army moving below the horizon, gaining strength, making ready.

A few years ago I was filming a video for a Catholic health system at some of their nursing homes.  I met a woman in a crafts class who was vibrant, happy and enjoying her day.  “She leaned in close and said to the priest who was with me, “I’m not afraid to die.  I’m actually looking forward to it.  I’m looking forward to seeing my husband again.”

Later that same day we met a man who was sitting alone in a wheelchair, staring into the floor.  The priest, inspired by the woman earlier, asked the man if he was looking forward to dying.  As the man raised his head to look at the priest, horror lined his face.  “No,” his voice cracked.  “No, I want to live.”

My confession is that I want to live.  Whatever my age, I want to do.  I want to go.  I want to produce.  I want to strike it rich.  I want to do good things.  But even if I am allowed to do all that or none of it, I want to live with an attitude of joyful anticipation and not dread.

Something I did not understand as well at 40 is that the words of Jesus Christ offer genuine wisdom to answer my big questions. 

Have I saved enough? 

“Don’t be anxious—your Father in heaven knows what you need.”

Have I loved the right things?

“As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you.  Abide in my love.”

How will it end?

“He who believes in me, though he die, yet shall he live.”

Will I suffer?

“In the world you will have tribulation, but take courage, I have overcome the world.”

What’s next for me and those I love?

“My peace I give you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.”

Then, from across the centuries, he asks a critical question of me.   In a voice that is gentle and compassionate, yet insistent on an answer, he asks, “Do you believe?”

Yes, Lord.

I believe. 

Help my unbelief.






Comments