The Mystery of Mothers



I have a photo of my mother and me standing beneath the fuselage of a transport plane on the tarmac of Ramey Air Force Base in Puerto Rico.  She has on a cotton dress and is carrying a handbag.  I have on droopy shorts and leather shoes.

Based on my age and the absence of my brother, who was birthed in the base hospital in 1955, the photo must have been of our arrival on the island where my dad was stationed.  If there was joy in their reunion, if my mother was happy to be there, the photographic evidence is lacking.  Her teenage face stares beautiful toward the future, but vacant all joy.

I don’t want to be unfair to be dramatic.  My mother had many happy times and smiles.  Yet the face staring out from that photo, the curious combination of beauty and disappointment, is the look I associate with her most.  I saw it many times. 

My mother is a mystery to me.  In fact, all of motherhood is a mystery.  If females are eternally mysterious to males, then full understanding of what it means to be a mother and a woman will be forever beyond the grasp of sons and men. 

I do believe, however, that in every loving mother, there must be trace elements of regret and sadness with the way things play out.

The life my mother lived would be unimaginable for most young women today.  Puerto Rico and a small house on an unpaved Isabela street was an early stop on a journey of many.  She followed my dad to an upstairs apartment in the shadow of the Willis plant in Toledo, Ohio, to a rental house by a graveyard in Sylvania, a duplex farmhouse in Lake County, a trailer in Tennessee, another rental by another graveyard in Chattanooga, and about half a dozen homes more.

One of the disappointments of my mother’s life was that she never had a house of her own.  Every home was a rental, borrowed from a relative, or some other temporary arrangement.  There was even a year where we all four lived with her mother and father in the two-bedroom, one-bath home where mom grew up.   

She is not here for me to ask, but I speculate Puerto Rico might have been one of her happiest times.  That is because it was the only period of her life when she did not work a job.  For that few years she was a stay at home mom, and I believe that must have been sweet to her, even though the house was hot, filled with bugs, and surrounded by neighbors whose language she could not understand.

I wish I could remember her during those few years when she was my constant companion in an exotic land.  But I was a little boy, and I have no recollection beyond a few gray photos.

Working moms today are the norm, but in the era of June Cleaver and Margaret Anderson, they were an anomaly.  For every childhood friend I ever had, their mothers were always there, a presence in the background, a voice calling at lunch and dinner times.

What nagging sadness it must have been for mom to leave my brother and me every morning to fix our own cereal, walk ourselves to school, and come home to an empty house?  What fearsome ideas invaded her thoughts during her desk-bound day?  How often, walking through the door at the end of the day, did she swallow a bitter mixture of regret and relief to find us in our bedrooms reading, playing, waiting, safe.

That was our life.  That was her life.  She worked because we needed the money.

Mom tried hard to be the mother the culture expected.  Once she agreed to become a den mother for my cub scout troop.   I remember us in our blue uniforms, yellow kerchiefs around our necks.  That was a sweet time, but as I recall it did not last long.  We moved on.

One of the most vivid memories of my mother is from a winter day when I was 17.  I was driving and she was in the passenger seat.  My dad and brother were a car ahead, leading us to see yet another rental house in another town.  We were making small talk when she slowly erupted into sobs and told me that if this move did not make my father happy, she would leave him.

I did not have to witness the end.   I went away to college.   About year later she moved into a different rental house . . . alone.

During the last years of her life my mom remarried and lived in a home that was almost hers.  Her name was never on the deed, but she experienced some welcome permanence there with Robert.  She planted flower gardens so big she could never keep them weeded.  She pursued projects so numerous she could never finish. But such things made her happy.  And the imperfection of them? Well, that’s just the way life goes.

She worked at her crafts. She worked at Wal-Mart, at Belk, at a photo processing plant.  Her life seemed happy enough.

I believed mom married Robert thinking she would care for him as his health failed, but she died first.  One night her heart slipped into a fluttering arrhythmia, and she never woke up.  Her last words were, “I think I’m dying.”  I can’t believe it was the first time that thought crossed her mind.

She was three days in a motionless coma, her face obscured by mask, tape and breathing tube.  When the nurse finally removed all the apparatus, I could then look into her face for one last, long time. 

It was still pretty.  It was still sad. 

Comments

Whit said…
Beautifully written, dad. I miss her, too, and was actually just thinking about her yard and garden this weekend. Thank you for sharing.