Channeling My Inner Herod

There is a Christmas song—not a favorite—that goes “if I were a shepherd I would bring a lamb, if I were a wise man, I would do my part” and so on.  It’s a sappy song, but it prompts a thoughtful question.

If I was there, if I was witness to events in Bethlehem when Christ was born, what would I have done?  Would I have stood at my door like the innkeeper and apologized that I had no guest room for the tired travellers?  Would I have been a nosy neighbor, speculating about that expectant couple sleeping in a stable?   Would I have been the herdsman who, on the night of the birth, was most anxious to get back to the sheep?

The Christmas story is ripe with personalities that reflect the human spectrum and our diverse responses to Jesus Christ.  There are haves and have-nots.  There are the faithful, the curious, the indifferent, and the opposed.  Where would I fall on that spectrum?

Upon honest reflection I have to conclude the character most like me is not a shepherd or wise man, it is Herod.  For me, and I think for much of the self-absorbed modern world, Herod is our ancestral alter ego.

Archeologists and historians today celebrate Herod the Great as one of the foremost builders of the ancient world.  With the support of friends in Rome, he built the port of Caesarea, the Masada fortress, a grand new temple in Jerusalem, and the Herodium, his personal, palatial retreat.

But to praise Herod is to ignore his dark side.  He was ambitious, scheming, greedy, self-absorbed, arrogant, violent and manipulating.  He valued himself and his power above all else.  When he heard people cheering his wife Mariamne’s teenage son, he had the boy drowned lest he someday compete for the throne.  He ultimately killed Miriamne, too.

Herod became king over Palestine following Rome’s removal of Hyrcanus, the previous ruler.  In a professed display of familial kindness (Herod’s father worked for Hyrcanus) Herod invited the disgraced Hyrcanus back to Jerusalem to live in the comfort and safety of the royal court.  But it was a ruse. Herod had Hyrcanus killed, eliminating any chance of a return to power.

Some modern historians doubt the New Testament account of Herod slaughtering the small male children of Bethlehem to snuff out some future rival (Matthew 2:16-18).  Yet understanding Herod and his paranoid nature, the story rings painfully true.  Herod tolerated no rivals.

I understand Herod too well.  Though I want those around me to see me as a man of humility and kindness, I know in the depths of my heart there is a Herod-like man fighting to break free. 

My self wants to be great.  My self wants the throne.  My self wants things my way.  My self rages inwardly when I feel slighted, challenged, unappreciated.  My self and Herod’s self are kindred spirits.  Yet, praise God, there is a difference.

Herod was not a Jew, but he was reared in the Jewish traditions.  His only gods were power and Rome, but he should have been aware of the prophesies about the coming Messiah.  When the magi arrived at his palace in Jerusalem, however, Herod had to consult with priests about the predicted birthplace.  He did not know that just eight miles away, in Bethlehem, God’s appointed would be born.

What did not happen next is the difference between Herod and me.  If Herod had even the slightest respect for the ways of God, if he had even a mild curiosity about ancient prophesies coming to pass, then he might have accompanied the magi to Bethlehem.  If he had paused to wonder about the Arab astronomers sleeping under his roof, and the cosmic forces that drew them to Judea, then he might have considered there are greater things than his own finite life and earthly power.

Instead of bowing to even the possibility of God at work, Herod sent thugs armed with swords to kill yet one more usurper to the throne.

That usurper is the difference between Herod and me.  Like every human naturally born, Herod had a sin problem and I have a sin problem.  The difference is that I recognize the only answer to my sin and all sin is Jesus Christ.

Oswald Chambers wrote, “The evidence that I have been delivered from sin is that I know the real nature of sin in me.”  When I pause long enough to consider the reality of Jesus, his sinless life, his atoning sacrifice on a cross, and his eternal victory over death, then the full darkness of the heart is illuminated and the full burden of sin is measured.  But Jesus solves the sin problem.

The Apostle John, who knew Jesus intimately, who stood at the base of the cross as Jesus died, and who ate with Jesus after the resurrection, wrote this:

“And this is the message we heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin.”  (1 John 1:5 and 7)

Herod never knew that, never even considered the possibility.  You can argue he never really had the chance.  But thankfully I did, and it makes all the difference.

Every year Christmas hits me like a rogue wave as I paddle my little boat named Lack of Preparation.  I’m never ready.  I don’t get cards out.  I shop at the last minute.  I regret the greetings I failed to send, the good I did not do and the opportunities missed.

I am grateful I did not miss Jesus. 

Comments