To Play Life Or Live It?

Do you want to play life or live it?

The question was directed toward my grandson Sam, who was at that moment setting up the board game with the spinning wheel, little cars and stick people.

Outside it was dark and cold, but it was snowing.  A few inches of snow were already on the ground, which is a blizzard by southern reckoning.  But the snow was not to last.  Forecasters said the snow would soon turn to rain.  Even though the sun set hours ago, if we were to go sledding, now would be our only chance.

Live it, said Sam.  Always the right answer.

So Sam, his little brother Charlie and I hurriedly dressed and escaped incandescent light and gas heat for night and nature.  The sky was cloud-covered and black.  Snow crunched under foot.  There was barely enough accumulation to cover the grass, but underneath was a promising layer of ice.

East Tennessee is not snow country, but when it does snow, hills are abundant.  You take a skim of ice, lubricate it with a layer of snow, add gravity and you have the formula for some epic sledding.  Speed and laughter come easily.

The sound of boys laughing in the dark is pure joy.   From the top of the hill I could make out their dark shapes rolling in the snow at the end of the run.  In the cold air I could hear their joy clearly.  It filled the night.  For a brief, precious time there was no room for sadness, worry, fear.

At a time when little boys should be in bed, we were outside, wet, cold, laughing, and alive.

The choice between playing life and living life is always in front of us, isn’t it?  It is a daily decision.

I recall a night when all my family was together at a beach house.  Children were in bed.  Adults were watching a movie.  Everything was at it should be. 

But outside life was calling.  There was a moonlit sky and a cool wind.  There was a wild, empty beach bordered by an ink-black ocean.  I chose a long, silent walk that filled all my senses with the reality of vast, mysterious, teaming creation.

I wish I could say that I always choose to live fully, but that would be a lie.  Like most people, I find myself opting too much for the conventional, the easy, the artificial.  Like most people, I tell myself compromises are necessary to fit in, to make the sale, to achieve success.  Yet the sense of success remains elusive.

There are those rare people who always seem to be more alive.  We’ve all encountered a few of them.  A precious few.  

They exude an adventurous spirit, even in the midst of the mundane.  They are more open to the potential of life than the promise of winning the game.  Where most people see risk, they see reward.  Where most find comfort, they find boredom.  Where most see security, they see a cage.

Their criteria for every decision seem to be, will this make me more alive or more the opposite?

I often find myself thinking about three things Jesus said at different times and different places, but I like to put them together.  He said, “I have come that you might have life, and have it abundantly.”  He also said, “If the Son sets you free, you are free indeed.”  Finally he said, “In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have overcome the world.”

From these three phrases comes a grand philosophy for living.  When we choose to follow Christ and his teachings, then we are more open to all the meaning and reality of life.  We are free to live it without fear of failure or death.  Though not every day or every choice will turn out happily, keep on the path that Jesus walked before us.  Everything will be all right.

I need these gifts from Christ: abundant life, ultimate freedom, enduring courage.  I need these in mind every time I consider the question--do I want to play life, or live it?



Comments